Cleaning and disposing of masks
The following is from the BC Centre for Disease Control.
Medical masks should not be cleaned and reused because putting them in the washing machine may damage the protective layers, reducing their effectiveness. All masks should be changed frequently. Fabric masks should be cleaned frequently. If a mask is wet or visibly dirty it should be thrown-out or cleaned. A wet mask should not be used for an extended period of time.
To dispose of medical masks after use:
- Wash or sanitize your hands before and after taking your mask or face shield off.
- Disposable face shields should only be worn once.
- Put the used masks in a garbage bin. Do not litter.
- After taking off your mask, wash or sanitize your hands again.
- When emptying garbage bins, don’t touch used masks or tissues with your hands. All waste can go into regular garbage bins.
To read the full article, click here.